The launch schedule for 2017 has been approved and is listed below.
21 January, 11 February, 11/12 March, 1/2 April, 13 May TARC Finals, 10 June,
1 July Fourth of July HP Demo, 15 July, 12 August, 16/17 September Capitol Cup,
7 October, 4 November and 9 December.
The next NOVAAR meeting will be held on Tuesady 1 November at 7 pm at the Community Room in the Kings Park Shopping Center. The Community Room is upstaris at the CVS end of the shopping center. This is not the regular location.
Discussion items include a hot wash up from the Night Launch, update on preparations for NARCON 2017, identification of additional TARC mentors, plans for the holiday party in December and an update on a new NOVAAR shirt order.
The program will be presented by Will Marchant. He will provide a pictoral tour of three European museums which contain German WWII V-Rocket artifacts.
The next rocket launch will be on Saturday 29 October at Great Meadow the launch will start at 2 pm. A high power waiver to 4,500 feet will be in effect for this afternoon session. At approximately 5:30 pm there will be a break for dinner and to reconfigure the range for the night launch. As soon as it is dark flying will resume. The launch will end at about 8 pm.
Volunteers are needed for set at 1 pm and to help take down the range upon completion. The sign up list is at www.volunteersignup.org/7BW9E.
The Corner Store across from the entrance to Great Meadow will be open until 7 pm.
Ken from Performance Hobbies will be present selling kits, motors parts and alll other thingd rocket.
Night Launch Rules 1. Model Rockets ONLY after dark 2. All rockets must have flown in “night configuration” during the day 3. All personnel will be illuminated while on the range 4. All rockets will be illuminated from the pad to the grass 5. Illumination will be appropriate for the size rocket 6. No strong flashlights near the range head, only red?lens flashlights allowed near range head 7. Slow blink rates should be avoided
We are the Northern Virginia Association of Rocketry (NOVAAR)
Section 205 of the National Association of Rocketry (NAR)
We Fly Rockets
Launch status will be announced by 8 pm on the Friday before a launch.
- Do you enjoy building and flying rockets?
- Need a good site to fly let alone, launch those big birds?
- Interested in model rocket competition awards or earning achievement awards for flying?
- Interested in rocket science projects?
If you enjoy model rocketry, you are invited to join the Northern Virginia Association of Rocketry. NOVAAR is the public model rocket club in Northern Virginia, and is a chartered section of the National Association of Rocketry (NAR). We're one of the most active model rocket clubs in the U.S., with a 40 year history of success, safety and fun in the hobby of model rocketry.
NOVAAR holds meetings once a month. We meet the first Tuesday from 7:00 pm to 8:30 at the Braddock District Government Office. The center is in North Springfield, two miles outside the Beltway (I495) at the intersection of Burke Lake Road and Rolling Road. For a map click here. Come visit a meeting and see why model rocketry would be more fun if you belonged to NOVAAR.
- Free flights at our monthly rocket launch throughout the year including contests, sport fun flying and demonstrations. Non-members pay $1 per flight.
- Assistance with achieving advanced high-power rocketry certification.
- Use of club's permit-approved, launch site with model rocket and high power launching equipment and a 4500 ft waiver equipment.
- Full access to the club website covering club activities plus articles on design and technical subjects.
- Participation in rocket building sessions hosted by experts.
- Regular monthly meetings which include an instructional or demonstration session.
- novaar.org e-mail addresses.
- novaar.org Bulletin Board.
- novaar.org Chat
- access to upload pictures to novaar.org Gallery 2
- access to novaar.org member only pages.
NOVAAR Officers and Coordinators
- President: Joe Woodford
- Secretary: Jonathan Rains
- Treasurer: Frank Prekel
- Senior Advisor: Trip Barber
- High Power Coordinator: Mitch Guess
- Scouting and Group Coordinator: Carl Curling
- Webmaster: Dan Winings