The NOVAAR rocket launch for 21 January at Great Meadow from 10 am to 2 pm is on. Set up will start at 9 am with the range opening at 10 am. The range will close at 2 pm. Volunteers are needed for set up, range take down and range duty. The signup list for range duty is at: www.volunteersignup.org/XYWKR. Please sign up. If everyone attending contributes an hour of their time, there will be no need for anyone to spend more than an hour on range duty. Unsure about what to do? Just ask and you will be paired with a more experienced individual. Enter Great Meadow through the marked gate and follow the the signs on the roadway to the parking area. Ken Allen from Performance Hobbies will be present with motors, kits and other rocketry supplies. The Corner Store across the street will be open for sandwiches, drinks and snacks. There is a portopotty on site. A reminder:the use of drones is prohibited at NOVAAR launches. Our NAR insurance only covers rocketry activities.
NOVAAR follows the Fairfax County School System in deciding to cancel a meeting because of the weather. If schools are closed the meeting is cancelled. Launch status is decided on a case by case basis with a decision posted on the website by 8 pm on the evening before a launch. Launches will be either conducted as scheduled, postponed until Sunday or cancelled with no make up date.
We are the Northern Virginia Association of Rocketry (NOVAAR)
Section 205 of the National Association of Rocketry (NAR)
We Fly Rockets
Launch status will be announced by 8 pm on the Friday before a launch.
- Do you enjoy building and flying rockets?
- Need a good site to fly let alone, launch those big birds?
- Interested in model rocket competition awards or earning achievement awards for flying?
- Interested in rocket science projects?
If you enjoy model rocketry, you are invited to join the Northern Virginia Association of Rocketry. NOVAAR is the public model rocket club in Northern Virginia, and is a chartered section of the National Association of Rocketry (NAR). We're one of the most active model rocket clubs in the U.S., with a 40 year history of success, safety and fun in the hobby of model rocketry.
NOVAAR holds meetings once a month. We meet the first Tuesday from 7:00 pm to 8:30 at the Braddock District Government Office. The center is in North Springfield, two miles outside the Beltway (I495) at the intersection of Burke Lake Road and Rolling Road. For a map click here. Come visit a meeting and see why model rocketry would be more fun if you belonged to NOVAAR.
- Free flights at our monthly rocket launch throughout the year including contests, sport fun flying and demonstrations. Non-members pay $1 per flight.
- Assistance with achieving advanced high-power rocketry certification.
- Use of club's permit-approved, launch site with model rocket and high power launching equipment and a 4500 ft waiver equipment.
- Full access to the club website covering club activities plus articles on design and technical subjects.
- Participation in rocket building sessions hosted by experts.
- Regular monthly meetings which include an instructional or demonstration session.
- novaar.org e-mail addresses.
- novaar.org Bulletin Board.
- novaar.org Chat
- access to upload pictures to novaar.org Gallery 2
- access to novaar.org member only pages.
NOVAAR Officers and Coordinators
- President: Joe Woodford
- Secretary: Jonathan Rains
- Treasurer: Frank Prekel
- Senior Advisor: Trip Barber
- High Power Coordinator: Mitch Guess
- Scouting and Group Coordinator: Carl Curling
- Webmaster: Dan Winings